Saturday, January 05, 2008

Go Team!

I have been going to a lot of college basketball games this year, more so than ever before. Tickets are expensive, and my new found attendance is wholly because of the set of season tickets I was gifted to share with my sister, who alas, has been unable to attend most games, leaving the tickets for SodaBoy and I to enjoy. Rooting for the Hometown University men's basketball team has been an off again, on again hobby for me throughout the years, an odd character trait in one who is utterly indifferent to all other sporting events.

Attending all these games instead of just watching on tv drives home the point of exactly how many there are. There were two already this week, one earlier this afternoon, and another evening game to rush to after work earlier in the week. If I am this exhausted just from showing up, think how tired the players must be. They have to run up and down the court for 40 minutes, not to mention the daily practices, the travel, the college classes. I guess that's why I am not an elite athlete. Or one reason, anyway. There is also my complete lack of coordination. Minor detail, right?

The HU team has been blighted by a series of injuries and defections this year, and our bench is shallow. The coach has resorted to starting three freshman and two sophomores. The team has a lot of raw talent, and lots of room for improvement. It has been a fun season so far. They managed to win the first two conference games, and it will be fun to see how they hold up to stiffer competition. At least the next two games are on the road. I can watch from my couch, and with the new laptop, maybe even keep up with the blogging. Fancy that.

4 comments:

a/k/a Nadine said...

At least the temperatures were on the mild side for the walking today.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

LOL! This post gave me a chuckle for some reason.

I used to love HU's basketball games, even though I can't be called a sports fan by any stretch.

And the thaw was nice--we rode our motorcycles today! YAY!

Electronic Goose said...

You're right: basketball is so much better in person.

Aliki2006 said...

My husband would be jealous to hear about all this game-watching! I love basketball in person--on TV it doesn't do as much for me.