Friday, August 25, 2006

Feet Photo Friday

As seen on joe's page. SodaBoy took this shot at my request on the summit of Big Slide in the Adirondacks in 2004. Photographing the feet of the victorious hikers surrounding the benchmark has become one of my favorite hiking rituals. Evidence! Proof! Look, Ma! We really made it! The whole thing is downright silly: the majestic photos of the scenic vistas are clearly much more impressive. And we take those pictures, too, of course. But years later, when reminiscing over the old photos, the feet photos always wield a special power.

3 comments:

jo(e) said...

The silly traditions are the ones that we remember most. I remember taking photos of my feet in the Colorado River just to prove I'd been there.

a/k/a Nadine said...

I would take pictures of my feet with the benchmark when I hiked alone because that was the only proof I'd been there and done that. I was amused to see Jacob had done the same thing when he was at Crater Lake. Apparently, it's not just us!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I always did that when I was a kid (and an adult, too!) Or with the cairn at the top, or a sign or all of the above.