Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Letter Is Here!

Last week, I had a second interview with Future Employer. After going through some standard interview questions, I was told that I got the job, and that a letter would be sent to my house to formalize the offer. Of course, one of the questions I was asked in both interviews was about salary requirements. I hate that question. Not answering seems like a cop out: you have to say something. Not having a job didn’t put me in the best negotiating position, so I gave them a figure lower than I would ideally like.

I watched the mailbox like a hawk all week, excited to receive the official paperwork. Nothing arrived, not even by Saturday, so I resigned myself to a weekend in the dark. When the mail arrived yesterday, and contained no letter, I started to get a little despondent. I asked SodaBoy to check the mail again to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. He couldn’t believe I was serious. We decided if nothing came in today’s mail, I would contact Future Employer for a status check.

Today, the mail delivery contained a huge rust-colored envelope. I could not possibly have missed it; it barely fit in the mailbox. The envelope concealed a matching rust-colored portfolio style folder, embossed with the company logo. Inside the folder was my official job offer, my job description, and benefit information. The whole package is beautiful, and seeing it all together make me very proud and excited. It’s real!

And as an added bonus, the salary is significantly higher than what I had requested. I had been expecting the offer to match my disclosed minimum, so this recognition of my value is a nice little ego boost.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats! I'm so happy for you and a little jealous. But I'm glad it's all working out and that they'll be paying you what you're worth! And start date?

Andy said...

I hate that salary question too. I've had it at every interview I've been to, and every position's pay was set in stone anyway. Why even ask?

Casey said...

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Jenny F. Scientist said...

WOO! HOO! That's wonderful. Money AND appreciation? Can't beat it!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

YAY!!! YahoOee! Whoopeee! YEBA! Good news. Glad they saw your worth!!! Hope you like the job, and yes, when do you start?

KEEP US POSTED!

jo(e) said...

What exciting news! Congratulations!

Aliki2006 said...

Wow! Congratulations--what thrilling news!

I'm so happy for you...

Anonymous said...

Yay! on the salary!

It is always nice to have your worth recognized in such a way :)

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so happy.

And what an added bonus that a) the salary is better than you expected and b) that the package it all came in was so snazzy. Nice to work for someone that you can feel proud of!

BerryBird said...

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. My official start date is Tuesday.