Saturday, August 25, 2007

Celebration

Last night I took SodaBoy out to dinner at one of the fanciest restuarants in town. We hadn't been there in several years, but had real cause for celebration. SodaBoy got an offer for employment in his field; it's been a long time coming. Several years ago he stopped working and went back to school full time. He earned his master's degree and has been searching for a new job. I am so happy for him, that he is going to get the opportunity to apply his new skills, that this investment is finally coming to fruition.

To be honest, I am happy for myself, too. I have borne the burden of primary breadwinner for too long now. Getting laid off from my stinky old lab job last summer turned out to be for the best, as I am much better suited for the job I have now. But those months of dual unemployment were extremely stressful. I am looking forward to the solidarity of the both of us rising in the morning and going forth to face the cruel world together.

So we celebrated with a little fine dining. I had a crab salad appetizer, prepared with yellow tomatoes, avacado, and citrus vinaigrette; pan roasted halibut, with crab and spinach risotto, and raifort sauce; and for dessert, a three berry crostata. SodaBoy ordered the Maine diver scallop appetizer, served over a warm corn and zucchini relish; the antelope wellington, with bordelaise sauce, mashed sweet potato, and greens; and vanilla ice cream with a ginger snap.

The food was outstanding, each bite a delectable combination of flavors to be slowly savored. Service was faster than I remembered from previous visits, which was nice, as we didn't end up spending three hours in the restaurant. We were both amused to find ourselves viewing the whole fine dining experience with a whole different perspective after watching Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef. Salt and pepper on the table? Tsk, tsk.

Are there any foodies reading this? If so, I'd love to hear more about what is in a raifort sauce.

8 comments:

Electronic Goose said...

Congrats to you both! That must feel so nice.

a/k/a Nadine said...

I'm choosing to fantasize about your meal, since the antelope turned me off SodaBoy's. I'm very envious.

Congrats to SodaBoy and best of luck to him as well.

BroccoliEater said...

Congratulations to SodaBoy! Big Boy Jobs are well worth celebrating :)

And the fine dining sounds *wonderful!* I consider myself at least somewhat Foodie, and I have no idea what a raifort sauce is. I had to google to discover it is a horseradish sauce. Seems like its traditionally a horseradish-scented cream sauce, but some make simply by adding horseradish to mayo.... sounds delicious, either way - ever since my Jewish roommate turned me onto horseradish when she took me home for Passover, I've been all about spicy roots :)

It all sounds delicious - glad you guys had a Fine Night Out.

BerryBird said...

Horseradish!! That is definitely it. It was a very light, almost foamy sauce, not applied directly to the fish, but placed at two corners. It was driving me crazy as I ate it, because the flavor was so familiar, but it was so mild, I just couldn't place it. Crazy in a good way.

jo(e) said...

Congrats to SodaBoy!

Aliki2006 said...

Hooray! Congrats to SodaBoy...what a great turning point.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to SodaBoy and yay for 2 incomes! :)

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Congratulations to SodaBoy! YAY!

Hurray for a meal and glad it was good.

We had a really nice meal out last night too, at Dylan's (where the Oyster Bar used to be) and it was fabulous! Spent the day at Greenfield village and I'm afraid I won't get caught up on everything before I leave shortly.