Monday, August 27, 2007

With This Ring...

SodaBoy and I got married this past May, to little fanfare, just the way we wanted. People have been asking us for months now when we were going to get our rings. Which is OK, since I acknowledged we meant to get them someday. It's just that we both hate shopping so much. And jewelry shopping? Ee-gads. Those people are vultures. I had tried dispatching SodaBoy to scope out the available ring selection, but that ship never sailed. So I had pretty much decided we would maybe get them sometime this winter, when the weather was miserable and the prospect of shopping seemed less bad.

Well, it turned out the weather was perfectly miserable this weekend, the kind of nasty heat where you lie on the floor because it is incrementally cooler than lying on the couch. I had drummed up some errands at the mall to enjoy the refugia of air conditioning: mailing a onesie to my cousin for his new baby, picking up digital prints from the photo shop. When we had completed my errands and were heading back towards the end of the building where we'd parked, I got a little panicky. I wasn't ready to face the heat again just yet. We walked by a jewelry shop and detoured inside. I know, I know. A mall jewelry store is probably not the best place to buy. Of course, buying wasn't our intent. But when we found rings we liked? It didn't seem like such a bad idea after all.

The rings are white gold, comfort fit, like Nicole had suggested. I was originally pretty fixated on the idea of tungsten, something about that thought pleased me mightly. Perhaps my fondness for Oliver Sacks? Turns out the tungsten was much more expensive than gold. Bah! We have discovered something really cool about the white gold, though. In daylight, the color perfectly matches the stainless steel of our watches. After dark, the true gold color shines through a bit. As an added bonus for SodaBoy, he can now walk around proclaiming himself White Gold Wielder! I think I need to read some Stephen R. Donaldson and find out what he's talking about.

8 comments:

a/k/a Nadine said...

Nice and simple! That does seem to be your style, so you selected well.

I'm impressed with the one-handed photographic skills, too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice rings! And I like the picture too.

BroccoliEater said...

Okay, you were sneaky - I didn't remember reading the wedding post! Congratulations :)

Perfect rings, too. I've never quite understood the wedding rings that are so exquisite and jewelled they have to be removed to do anything important. A wedding ring is a symbol of a vow, after all...

Husband and I spent the first year clicking our rings together and muttering "Wondertwin powers..." after we got married :)

Electronic Goose said...

I like the genuine simplicity (is everyone saying that or what?) of your rings.

I didn't pick mine (they were donated, er inherited) but I would have gone simple too.

Do you catch yourself looking at it like a foreign object? Soon you'll feel naked without it.

Jenny F. Scientist said...

They're lovely!

Aliki2006 said...

They're beautiful! Simple is the best. Do your watched match? Too cute!

BerryBird said...

Aliki, the watches do match, too. We got them years ago.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Hey, no fair, I was going to comment on how cute is that, matching watches, too! Yep, Nice rings, nice watches, nice hands, nice photo. Very nice.

Congratulations again! YAY!

And some of the hiking and camping photos were very nice, too--I think I forgot to say that!