Sunday, November 04, 2007

Foxon Park: White Birch

As astute readers may have surmised from the name, SodaBoy loves soda. Coca-cola classic is his favorite, the old standby, the default. However, like any true connoisseur, SodaBoy enjoys sampling different varieties. I do not quite share his passion for soda, but I get in on the fun, too. For example, when traveling, we always stop to see if we can find local brands.

And then, of course, there is the tasting. We are not big boozers, but mysteriously possess a Hometown University shot glass of completely unknown origins. It is certainly not the sort of thing that either of us would buy, yet it is this shot glass that I use to taste each new discovery. It delivers a perfect size portion, is easily refilled, and adds fun to the ritual.

Photo by SodaBoy

Label Information
Contains: carbonated water, sugar, natural and artificial flavor, sodium benzoate (preservative).

"ALL-WAYS IN GOOD TASTE"

Foxon Park Beverages, Inc.
East Haven, Connecticut 06513
CT. LIC. #158
Visit us at: www.foxonpark.com

Soda Review
This is a very nice soda. The flavor is that signature wintergreen of birch beer, with some initial bite, then a smooth finish. It is not excessively sweet. [That sweetness assessment is mine, not SodaBoy's. He rarely find any soda too sweet.] Also, this soda gets automatic bonus points for using real sugar as opposed to wretched ubiquitous corn syrup.

7 comments:

a/k/a Nadine said...

You're not thrown by the "artificial flavor?"

BerryBird said...

Well, artificial flavors don't thrill me, but it is soda we are talking about. It is not inherently healthy.

Having said that, I don't care much for "natural flavor," either. I'd like both categories to be more specific. I think all products meant for human consumption should list all ingredients by name and source.

Aliki2006 said...

I'm not a big soda fan myself (the bubbles drive me nuts--I don't like champagne, either--go figure), but that does look like tasty stuff!

BerryBird said...

Aliki!! I don't like the bubbles much, either. I never drink soda (except from shot glasses) unless I am also eating. Same thing for beer, wine coolers, champagne. My sister and I called carbonation "bees" growing up, because the bubbles sting. But if I am eating all bets are off, especially with fountain soda. I can drink a disgusting amount of that with a meal out.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I'm not a big soda fan, either.

Shouldn't this be photographed in a yellow birch or black birch or sweet birch rather than a white birch? (?)

Not that I don't like the white birch, I do.

Having said I don't like soda, I have to admit that I scam some off pino boy sometimes, in shot-glass-size portions.

And I even occasionally buy some for myself.

IZZO fruit sodas, orange and now grapefuit. I share them with piano boy because too many bubbles--ugh!

I used to mix them with fruit juice but decided that was just too many excess calories without much food value--real fruit is better.

BerryBird said...

Mary, I wouldn't have thought the birch beer was made with white birch either. But look again at the label... it is specifically labeled "white birch."

Plus, the white birch in my backyard are handy for photographing.

Jenny F. Scientist said...

I live quite near their plant. If you ever want more flavors, I'm your woman. :)