- Windfalls [fiction] by Jean Hegland
- Remains of the Day [fiction] by Kazuo Ishiguro
- The House on Mango Street [fiction] by Sandra Cisneros
- Girls in Trouble [fiction] by Caroline Leavitt
- Chrysalis, Maria Sibylla Merian and the Secrets of Metamorphosis [non-fiction] by Kim Todd
- The Wonder Spot [fiction] by Melissa Bank
- The Stand [fiction] by Stephen King
- Lost Mountain [non-fiction] by Erik Reece -- See my review here, and find links to numerous other reviews over at The Blogging Bookworm.
- Messenger [fiction] by Lois Lowry
- In Defense of Food [non-fiction] by Michael Pollan -- I won this book from a giveaway over at Crunchy Chicken. Thanks again, Crunchy!
- The Back Road to Crazy [essays] edited by Jennifer Bove
- For Love [fiction] by Sue Miller
- Bait and Switch : The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream [non-fiction] by Barbara Ehrenreich
- The Road [fiction] by Cormac McCarthy
- When You Are Engulfed in Flames [essays] by David Sedaris
- An American Childhood [memoir] by Annie Dillard
- Coming Back to Me [fiction] by Caroline Leavitt
- Silence of the Songbirds [non-fiction] by Bridget Stutchbury -- I read this book based on Hugh's excellent review over at Rock Paper Lizard.
- The Midwife’s Apprentice [fiction] by Karen Cushman
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
2008: The Year in Books
Every year on New Year's Eve, I post a list of the books I've read that calendar year, and every year, the list seems to get shorter and more pathetic. I used to read way more than this and I enjoy it so damn much; seeing my slide into illiteracy actually makes me a bit sad. I need to find a way to allot myself more time to read in 2009. So I'm going to post this list, thin as it is, to keep myself honest. Here are the books I read in 2008: