Monday, January 12, 2009

Speedy Delivery

When we applied for our passports, Helpful Postal Clerk seemed surprised by how far in advance we were applying. With our trip is still many months away, there was obviously no need to pay extra for expedited processing. So it was a huge surprise when SodaBoy called me at work this afternoon with the news that our passports had arrived in the mail today, just nine days after we originally submitted our paperwork.


Apparently having my surname spelled wrong on my previous passport and using it to travel to Soviet Russia wasn't as much of a problem as I'd feared it could be. [I enrolled in Russian language classes the first year they were offered at my high school, and ended up being selected to fill the shoes of another older student who was supposed to be participating in the exchange, but couldn't go. My parents rushed me down to the state building, but my last name was missing a consonant on the first passport I was issued. We sent it back dismayed, only to have a second arrive mere days before my departure, this time with an extra vowel. What did I do? Practice signing my name wrong, of course.]

Luckily, this minor youthful discretion did not seem to cause any problems, and all names spelled correctly this time around... on my passport anyway. Unfortunately for SodaBoy, my passport curse seems to be infectious. His name and birth date are correct, but his sex is indicated as "F," and clearly that won't do. When he called me, he had already determined he has to send the passport back with a photocopy of his drivers license to show proof of gender. I couldn't resist offering another suggestion for photocopiable evidence.

And the birth certificates? They did not arrive today, but as promised, I am not panicking. Like Mom to Baby J noted in her comment, the literature indicates they will be mailed separately.

7 comments:

a/k/a Nadine said...

Holy cow! That must be a record. Poor SodaBoy...

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

YAY and BOO!

Yay that you got them so quick and that yours was right. Boo that Soda Boy might have to . . . um . . . expose himself? LOL! Well, only in paperwork, thank goodness.

Electronic Goose said...

Yeesh.

lanes123 said...

Yikes! Hopefully, changing that one letter won't take too long.

jo(e) said...

He could just leave his gender as Female and make up a good story to go along with it ....

Stacy said...

Wow! You did get your passport quickly! I definitely remember it taking longer for my husband and I - but that was a good 5 years ago. Haha on the typo on your hubby's passport! Hehe! Stuff like that always happen to us too! My birthdate was wrong on our health insurance a few years ago and so each time I went to the pharmacy or doctor it was a HUGE to-do. Took forever to fix it too. Now my birthdate is right they mispelled my firstname...great.

Mom to Baby J said...

I think they are getting quicker with the passport thing. Hope you get back all the documentation soon!

Does SodaBoy have girly name?