Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, There's Always Tomorrow

Last Friday we found a little blue tag on the door from the Department of Public Works, announcing that our street's surface will be treated "tomorrow." The notice went on further to state that if we wanted use of our vehicles for the day, we'd have to move them out of the driveway and onto an adjoining street by 6:00 am. Oh, yeah... and that the schedule will be delayed one day in case of rain.

We decided (correctly) they weren't really going to pave on a Saturday, but Sunday night I was a good girl and moved my car onto an adjacent street. Monday it rained, so nothing happened, and last night I parked my car around the corner again. Today we got another notice saying they are coming "tomorrow." So for the third night in a row, I parked on Dead End Avenue. I was surprised the other morning to be marching down the road towards my car in a line of other women doing the same. It was kind of funny.

I shouldn't complain, I guess, since our street is getting repaved. Although, frankly, I'm not sure it needs it. There are lots of other streets around the city in much worse shape. Plus, they did Dead End Ave last week or the week before and it was super stinky for days and days. The DPW can't be blamed for the weather, but still: I just wish they'd hurry up and get it over with already. I thought I was done parking on the street once we bought this house.

4 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Aiee!

What a pain. One more of life's little joys: Murphy at work.

I have to say though, we had a visit from Pollyanna the other day--several things actually went WELL for us.

I'm sorry I haven't been around much--I've barely been on-line lately we've been so busy and that's not likely to change any time soon.

Hope they pave soon--try not to breathe the fumes!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Try to think about how nice and smooth it will be when all is said and done? And how they won't have to do it again for a long time?

Aliki2006 said...

I agree--think about the end result! keep that image in mind through all the mess...

BerryBird said...

It turned out to be not as bad as I expected, once the weather cleared. The paving was done on a cool day when it didn't even hit 60 degrees, and apparently that made a huge difference in the fumes emitted.